Monday, September 8, 2008

Weaning: Darla, please go get Mama!


This photo is from the first few minutes of weaning and the video is from Sunday, four days after weaning, when Renny was pretty sad (and bored).

Okay, so yesterday, Sunday, I went to the stable and let Ruthie and Renny out in the indoor for two hours while I gave my sweet mares a real beauty spa treatment. Hailee loved her bath, clipping, mane trim, lotions. I could tell that she really wanted to be comforted and fussed over. Violet accepted her bath with her usual goofy sweetness and grand sense of thoroughbred entitlement!

Renny was pretty crabby, but he was sort of interested because he got moved to his own personal big boy stall with window. No more foaling stalls for him! I thought he was so cute because he can't even reach the window to take a peek out and I can't see him at all if he puts his head down to eat hay!

Anyway, I visited this morning, Monday, and it was going to be the first day that the foals were turned out onto their new pasture. Renny was crabby. He did a tiny set of crow hop bucks when I took his temperature, but then gave up and let me take his temp. He was such a good boy today. He went out and was in pasture all day which really must have improved his sweet mood. He came right up to me and let me bring him in and he behaved while his girlfriend was being naughty. Then he let me lead him around the arena and out back behind the stable, all the time with this dog almost as big as him dancing beside him. Then we walked up to the house and visited Barbie and Pat and he practiced trotting beside me! Fabulous. And then he trotted off beside me and did a little jump over a railroad tie. Super little colt!

The four mares got turned out in the front pasture together for the first time. I would have loved to see that! Violet tried to move up the herd, but Annie must have put her in her place. When I saw her at the end of the day, she had a good cut along her back tendon, but seemed very pleased with herself and with life. When I showed up, you could see the two moms going about their business, and the two red ingenues, hanging together. With Violet putting the bite on Sedona, just to let her know that Vi might be low down the herd, but Sedona was the bottom!

It was a good cool lovely wonderful day and all my horses were outside, engaging in new adventures or behaving well and learning new activities. I am blessed today. Namaste.