Friday, September 5, 2008

What a Difference a Day Makes -- Weaning Day 2


So, this morning I set my alarm for 5:30am, so that I could go and see how everyone was doing and give Hailee her medicine before work. I walked Zelia in the dark, fed the cats, and poured coffee. It was dark when I drove to the stable, and dark when I saw the Appaloosa grazing with his cow friends at Sautter Farm a mile before Showgate. I stopped and took photos.

Then I drove to the stable and when I stepped in, everyone was so quiet, chewing quietly on their breakfast in a thoughtful early morning way. And when they heard me, they decided to put on a show. The babies gave a shout, the mamas whickered and whinnyed, hoping for grain. It was sort of hilarious because you could just feel that everyone had passed a reasonable night and they were enjoying their breakfasts. Renny had finished her grain. Violet was all cozy and cuddly and sweet in the early dark. And Hailee looked decidedly better than the day before, her eye looked almost normal except for her blue halo.

I gave her medicine, I visited everyone, I groomed Renny. My little man let me clean the diarrhea off his legs in an accepting fashion. He knows grandma is supposed to take care of him. He didn't seem confused, just expectant, like the world wasn't quite right and he was waiting for grandma to correct the situation. But they were all well. Derek showed up right before I left and we chatted about the vet visit and equine eye injuries.

And when I went after work, Barbie, Darla and I checked out the horses. Darla said that they had been quiet and good all day and all was well. And I have to admit that things seemed fine. They were still calling, but I feel that the foals could be let out soon. And my darling Renny, well, he's such a good boy that he demonstrated clearly for grandma that he's eating with gusto, drinking water, peeing, AND big boy pooping. I could just kiss his freckle just thinking about it.