Monday, June 22, 2009

An Amazing Day to Trust Instincts and Friendships


So, I am writing this entry on Monday, June 22nd and this photo is from June 18th, of my little Renny. Things are sort of shaken up at Showgate with everyone gone. So, I spent the day cleaning my house, balancing my checkbook, blanching and freezing greens, and then went out to the stable to visit my herd.

They were in their stalls resting in mid-afternoon to get out of the heat. So, one by one, I spent alone time with them. I took Violet down the long aisleway so that we were standing in front of a giant barn fan. She knew I meant for her to rest, so she just relaxed with her nose hung low. I sat between her front legs and we played with each other, or just rested, or she visited quietly with Chippy. At one point, she put her head down and gave me a big kiss on the lips all quiet and sweet. We then went out to the tree on the lawn for shade and I unhitched her from the line. She thoughtfully ate big mouthfuls of grace and grass and clover all close to me. And at one point, she came swirling in slowly to touch me quietly with her head. I did this with all three of my equines. And they all followed the same pattern. Graze near me, keep me happily in view, and swirl in for a brief touch or just to breath on me briefly and then graze on. They all let me come up to them when I was ready and collect them. We are a happy herd together.

And here's what's cool. I took Renny to the new roundpen, just to very slowly start his training. He is just so smart, he's amazing. I meant to play friendly game with him and just hang out, but at one point, he burst into a natural trot along the rail, so I called to him trot and he circled a few times around. Then I did a big slow turn with the carrot stick in hand and he (as smart as his mom) turned back on his haunches and went the other way. And when I lightly brushed him with the string and said trot, he burst into another trot and stopped when I said whoa. He was praised and praised and praised for his goodness and smartness. We had fun with this task. He is truly such a smart boy.

And so that's my amazing quiet alone, but not lonely afternoon at the barn. I trusted my instincts and knew that my friendship with my horses would mean that they would graze with me quietly, keeping me in sight, happy for a visit and some clover. I knew they would let me collect them. I knew they would be glad for a conversation and brief grooming. That they would let me fuss over their fly spray and suntan lotion. They love me. I love them. And I am just so grateful for Renny. What a funny, smart pony.

Oh! And get this! Yes, he's only 13-months old, so I just let him naturally trot in the round pen for two circles each direction, more focused on getting him to enjoy the feel of his body, the sound of my praising voice, and the small insight of a voice command to task. But! When he started to trot, he turned from cute fat round 13-month old to a sexy hunter pony. He looked spry, lively, athletic, lean, quick, bright and alert. He looked wonderful. Just a slice of perfection on a lovely June day.