Friday, June 19, 2009

Breaking News! Some Ecological Observations



When I first moved to Bowling Green, my cute little house was so different from my New Orleans one, so I was learning about the new things to like. And here's one of them. The evenings and nights in May and June were so cold, even when the day had been warm, and at twilight the front yard would be alight with the glow of many fireflies.
This year, I only saw two in my front yard so far, and just a smattering for the past few evenings in my backyard. I can definitely say that the firefly population decreased considerably since I moved here. And another observation I have is that the butterfly population is horribly off as well. When I was a child living in Detroit, I remember clearly many butterflies arriving at once to float across the lawn of our rental property on Antoine Street. And I remember vividly letting Monarch butterflies alight on my fingers. Now, the only butterflies I see are the cabbage moths that like my, yup, cabbages. The world is measureably noticeably discernably different. The same goes for birds...I don't see anywhere near the number of birds.