Thursday, January 21, 2010

Breaking News! Violet back to Work


Okay, so this is a photo of Secretariat and not Violet, but she's related to this majestic creature, so why not! This morning I went out to the stable and lunged Violet and she felt fresh and eager. Her hooves stayed cool and were an even temperature all around, so we saddled up. I finally had a chance to use her new dove-colored pad with pink and silver corded trim and grey sheepskin accents. The pad is great. She and I went for a lovely relaxed responsive ride. She was light to the feel, had good breaks and turning, and gave to the aids with real sensitivity. It's the usual thing - take a big long break and when you first come back instead of being nervous or afraid, you're just generally better at riding. I don't know why. Anyway, I am delighted to report that she wasn't lame or ouchy or short in her strides. She didn't trip. Her feet were cool when we were done. I think the girl may be growing out of her short trim. I sure do notice that there's more growth by her coronet band and considerably more since she started the Grand Hoof treatment. Tomorrow evening, I'll take her out for another spin at the walk, trot, canter and then we'll be ready to get back into lesson mode with lessons on Saturday morning. Wish us well! Namaste!