Saturday, January 2, 2010

Happy New Years!

Hi. The past 24-36 hours have been eventful. Here is a photo from New Year's eve morning when I went to visit my girls and baby boy. When I went out to pasture, both girls came up to me and I thought they just wanted to say hello, but Hailee followed us right into the barn. I should have realized something was wrong. I put them into the arena to roll and Hailee rolled and bucked and snorted and then acted like a real crazed nut job. So, I put her back in the cross ties and here's a photo of my girls. And what I thought was a funny photo of Hailee making faces actually turned into something serious. Last night, at 7:30, I got a call from Stacey saying Hailee was beginning to colic. So, we gave her banamine and I got there by 8:20. By 8:45 Hailee pooped, by 9:45 she drank and ate. And with walking, she seemed more comfortable. And then at 2am, Stacey texted me and said that Hailee looked great. She was calm and quiet and had made a big pile of poop. And today, Beth told me that they were keeping a close eye on her and listening to her, I knew that was so. She knew the exact sounds Hailee's belly was making and how she was acting and how much she was yawning. So, I told her that Hailee had passed lots of gas last night and Beth seemed to relieved. She thinks it was just a gas colic.

Anyway, I am telling you that I am a bit sad on this day -- my Violet still has heat in her right front hoof and Hailee is getting over a colic. But I know that they are safe and happy and well-cared for at St. George and that makes me so happy.

And what else on this day!? Well, last night once I knew Hailee was okay, I went to Danielle and Todd's for a yummy New Year's dinner and conversation and cheer at midnight. They are such good friends. Todd is so kind and funny and smart and tells good stories. And Danielle is the most unique person, bright and quick and real. I was glad to be sitting at their dinner table relaxing at midnight! And then to get the 2am text from Stacey that all was well at St. George.

Then today, I went out to St. George twice today to check on Hailee. I took her for a walk outside and she was fine and interested in her surroundings, but Violet went bonkers, running up and down the fenceline and pawing with her bad tootsies! And then I read Dave Eggers' Zeitoun about a Syrian American Muslim contractor in New Orleans and what happened to him after Hurricane Katrina. It was just the right thing to read on New Year's Eve night and New Year's Day and I got to listen to the book on tape as I was driving to and from St. George twice a day over the past two days.

I was feeling out of sorts that I didn't have a theme for the new decade, but the past two days clarified it for me without me needing to think about it too much. This decade will the the "Service Decade." I need to widen what I can do to try and do good. Namaste and Happy New Year. Blessings to my beautiful creatures and family and friends.