Sunday, March 7, 2010

My Big Weekend with Violet!


So, Violet and I have been working hard. I feel badly for her because she's such a good girl and she has to carry a fearful timid beginner rider. But Stacey has been working with us closely. I've been taking riding lessons twice a week and then Violet and I have been taking private lessons with Stacey weekly for about three weeks now. But we were having setbacks -- I couldn't shake my fear. Violet wouldn't want to work by the gates quietly. She would pull heavily into my hands or rush through her transitions. When we would ride with several people -- like Gay, Mary, Cheri, Baker and Sherry, the nicest ladies you'll ever meet -- I would get nervous. So, I was nervous about this weekend because we had a Saturday morning lesson and our first dressage lesson with Janet. But it was great, just wonderful. We had a wonderful lesson on Saturday morning, she worked quietly the whole time and I felt good on her. And we did a really nice three loop serpentine in both directions at the canter. It was a big achievement. Now that Saturday morning lesson was with bungee reins which is just a crutch or aid that will be temporary, but it sure gave Violet something to focus on rather than weight into my hands. And then today we had our dressage lesson. Janet is such a nice woman. She listened to my fear. She listened to my beginner status. She listened that I only want to have safe rides, and she worked with that. She worked our tail off! I was tired when we were all done, but it felt great! I am still having trouble getting Violet to work the corners, but Janet was very good at explaining how to speak to Violet with the reins and how to get the action I want through my seat and legs. Violet did a big loosey goosey thoroughbred spook by the door when she heard someone in the feed room (50 minutes into our ride when she was tired and looking for an end) and I toppled forward onto her neck. But I stayed on! And I just started her at the trot quietly again. I am really grateful to Stacey and Janet. I can definitely see a change in both Violet and myself in this short time. And I really truly believe that Violet has come further under 3 training/private lesson rides with Stacey than she did the entire 7 months she was in training. Violet is learning to supple, give, and carry her own weight. And she is learning to work for a full hour or more without complaint. And I am learning to ride square and straight and post like I mean it and drive that beautiful girl forward!