Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Renny's Mounting Block Training Day!

This morning I went out to the barn and the weather was beautiful -- deep into the 50s with a light rain giving the promise of Spring! Renny and I have started our training in earnest! Today he stood quietly in the cross-ties, accepted his saddle, practiced lunging with a little bit of cantering, gave to the line around his hocks, trotted-in-hand and then we had a big surprise! I brought him over to the mounting block and he wasn't really looking at me, so the next time he turned around, he was shocked to see Grandma towering over him standing on the mounting block steps. He took off like a startled little bottlerocket. And spun around to keep his heinie away from his Grandma cougar! I laughed and laughed at his surprise and instead we turned it into the squeeze game, making him happily walk back and forth between the mounting block with tall Grandma and the viewing room wall. He was happy proving that he can do the squeeze game! I look forward to trying the mounting block again!