Friday, March 26, 2010

My Rebellious Young Man!






So, last night, I went out to the barn after a cold rainy grey day. I was intent on giving each of my horses some love. I started with Hailee first because she usually only gets attention after I'm done with the others. She and I had a wonderful relaxed quiet little grooming session and I could tell that she felt affectionate. She was happy for hugs and care.
But her son was super crabby and all twisty in the cross-ties. He seemed exactly like he had ants in his pants. So, Robin told me that earlier in the day, he was in the cross-ties while they were cleaning stalls and that he broke free and was walking around the barn. Beth, the barn owner saw him, and gently asked him what he was doing and he turned right around and went back into his grooming stall and acted all casual. I love that boy. He is so smart and goofy.
But I'm sorry to hear that he broke free of the cross-ties because now he's learned that he can. It explains why he was so goosey and loosey and impatient. But also he was impatient because he had a boring day hanging out in his stall most of the time and then hanging out in the indoor briefly with his mom and aunt for a brief run around.
I have to say that I am upset and worried about his well-being. He is turned out with horse geldings who are significantly older and bigger than he is. And he is getting bitten constantly -- His flanks look bad. You can see all these tender hairless bite marks up and down his flanks and along his withers and shoulders and sides. I hope that things improve when the grass gets longer and the boys get busier with other things other than beating up Renny.
Anyway, I am going to see if I can get a little help for him on the turnout scene. And I am super proud at his intelligence!