Monday, July 5, 2010

Miss Thing the Hunter!


So, I am writing this entry on Thursday, April 8th and I've had a pretty eventful past two weeks. Violet and I punched through and made some real breakthrough progress in our relationship. Stacey's private lessons with me are really helping me focus on riding with my seat and legs and I know much more now what it means to truly use my seat. We've really been able to work on our extended, working and collected trot and our canter is coming along though Violet has a harder time going to the right.

So, Stacey thinks that we are finally ready to begin working over cross-rails. So, here's how it went. On the Saturday before Easter, I went out to the stable for my morning lesson before going to see Elena and family in Pittsburgh. We had our first wonderful glorious ride outdoors in a sunlit breezy day. Violet was tremendous. Then on Monday, Violet and I had an evening lesson outdoors and the stand was filled with about 5-6 people and Vi couldn't care less. She was rock solid, fluid and relaxed to ride. We trotted circles and serpentines and went over ground poles. And we had a nice big loose canter in both directions. So, we walked out of the arena and went with Lacey and Pan all the way around the facility and into the door of the arena and then went over our first cross-rails! We weren't great, but we did it with heart! The next day, Tuesday, I had a private lesson with Stacey on a very windy day, so Vi was goosey and shied a bit, but we worked on cantering and I posted without stirrups and practiced my two-point. It feels weird to me. It's doesn't feel natural to close my hip angle and get my heels down, but I want to strengthen my seat. Then we went over cross-rails again!

And now for last night! Katie said that she would ride Violet, so I went out to the barn to see how it went. Violet looked gorgeaus. She has this long loose thoroughbred walk and her trot was neat and relaxed and fluid. And her canter was quiet and sweet and big and quick. And Katie jumped her over both cross-rails and a rail and it was awesome!! Violet is a quiet but big jumper. She really rounds her back and uses her legs. I was thrilled to see what I guess you would call her scope even over very small obstacles.

So, Katie is going to ride Violet this weekend in a hunter clinic with Jill Jewett who is a AA circuit hunter judge. I'm thrilled that Violet will get a little experience from a top rider and a top judge!