Monday, March 14, 2011

Where to Begin...


Okay, so I don't even really know where to begin with this true story, but the basic truth is that I ran into an unrepentant abusive horse thief.  Hailee and I had a high adventure.  If you've been following my posts, you know that I love my horses and feel like we are the Sanchez family herd.  And you know that I've been feeling badly that I don't have a job for my beautiful Hailee and I know that I won't be breeding her again, though she clearly makes exceptional, talented, kind, and smart ponies.  So, I wanted to find a home and job for her, preferably one where she could contribute to her heritage and pedigree.  As an Easy Jet mare with the very best cutting and reining on her bottom, I wanted her to breed talented Western horses.  So, Coy Moyers arranged for her to go to a home in Tennessee with a physician who trains, shows and breeds cutting and reining horses.  Coy said that this new home was with a sentimental man who would take care of her, allow me to visit her, and she'd have a chance to breed to the very best reining stallions in the industry.  He said that he'd never take her anywhere that wasn't as good or better than her current home.  And if you know St. George, you know that her home was good.

So, I spoke with this physician on the phone and he told me that he had a sensible plan for her -- that she'd spend several months off at pasture, relaxing and decompressing.  She'd be with weanlings and geldings at first because the broodmares might be mean.  Then she'd have desensitization training followed by regular training.  He'd work patiently with her to find her a job and discover her talents. 

So, I had her trimmed, floated, and got her new blankets and new halter in order.  I had her vaccinated.  And all of these things I did within a single week to ready her for her new journey.  I prepared an agreement which said that I would be willing to have her back under any circumstance or condition at any point in her career -- when she first got off the trailer to her old age or other retirement.  And I sent her with contact information for me, my parents and sister. 

I grieved and grieved about sending her.  I cried continually.  I leaned on friends.  I spoke with Coy and he told me it was the right thing to do.  And he told me to please not cry because it hurt him.  I prayed on it.  I carried her picture.  I thought deeply about this change.

Guess what happened....