Monday, January 7, 2013

Our New Greener, Sweeter Friends



So, after that November 19th meeting, when it was clear that the Mayor and city attorney and the H*kels and Mr. C*nnell were determined to kill the hen ordinance and it was clear that a city council person was willing to speak poorly of me in public, I no longer felt I could keep my hens safe.  So, I got ready to take them to Mahomet, Illinois to live on an organic farm.  I had that as a backup plan from the very beginning.  Katie, and her husband, Michael, lived in Bowling Green.  She was a Professor in my department and a strong advocate of environmental sustainability and eco-gardening.  And she had backyard hens.  Her husband is a Manhattan lawyer who is so successful he can telecommute.  At any rate, they found our town too provincial and small-minded, so they left academia and moved to Mahomet to begin an organic farm.  They were kind and said they would keep Thelma and Louise, if they ever needed a home.

So, after that horrible meeting, I went to Texas to spend Thanksgiving with my family.  And then I came home and prepared to bring my girls to Mahomet.  They had only known my home and never another, so it was very hard to be getting ready to take them to someplace new.  But let me tell you, after what happened with Coy Moyers and Maurice Robinson, it was a real blessing to know that my animal companions would be safe.