Sunday, January 6, 2013

The Sanchez Herd Loses - Big!




So, my friends and I had been working hard.  I worked hard from Spring through deep Fall.  I attended every single meeting about the backyard hen ordinance.  And my friends were working hard, so hard.  Christine believed in her heart that we were going to prevail because the naysayers never brought facts, science, reason...they only brought misinformation and vitriol.  She though reason would prevail.

And then the horrible meeting happened.  But first, I want you to know what I had done to try and bring information to my city council. 

1.  I reported to city council what the code enforcement, animal control, and public health officers said to the sub-committee about the likely success of a backyard hen ordinance.
2.  I spoke with a researcher at the Center for Disease Control.
3.  I researched a sample of Ohio towns with backyard hen ordinances and other food-producing animal ordinances.
4.  I spoke with code enforcement, animal control, and public health officers in these 5 Ohio towns to discuss their views of their hen ordinances.
5.  I produced legal articles that surveyed hen ordinances around the U.S. and provided a model ordinance.  Note that the legal articles discuss neighbor consent provisions as a bad idea.
6.  At a council person's bidding, I started to invite my friends into the process and have brought my neighbors, friends, and children to these meetings.
7.  At a council person's request, I gave all information to everyone, including the pediatrician and her lawyer.
8.  At a council person's request, I researched whether the Top 10 small towns for investment and real estate have backyard hen ordinances -- 9 did.
9.  At the pediatrician's request, I invited Dr. Susan Orosz, a world class avian veterinarian and the animal welfare compliance officer for BGSU to draft a letter in support of backyard hens.  But after the November 19th meeting, I contacted her and cautioned her against writing a letter to our council because it's clear that BG is not a safe community for hens and their owners.
10.  I've presented my views about the developing ordinance with respect and thoughtfulness and told my council that I understand the decision is within their hands.
11.  When I found out by accident this summer that a "complaint" had been filed against me, I called public health to request a written record.  I was told clearly in plain unvarnished language that the public health officer did not file a report because it was patently obvious that my backyard was not a public health risk and that the neighbor who reported me created her own gnat problems with her soil choices.  

And while all of that work was going on, I had to sit in meetings in which people who are afraid of change were willing to be shockingly uncivil.  During this past year, people I don't even know were willing to call me a "fringe element who doesn't care about the public good." A woman with a "silly personal agenda who doesn't care about the moral order."  Someone who is "trying to turn America into a Third World country."  Someone whose education doesn't qualify her to understand what the CDC researcher said to me.  Someone who is trying to turn our city of gardens into a foul place filled with fences.  Someone who should "get out of town and get a life."  

And then the fateful November 19th meeting happened.  In an earlier meeting, a council person had said let's pick it up and pass it.  We knew that we had 4 of the 7 council people on our side.  So, this meeting was important.  We arrived in strength.  And then the Mayor stands up and blasts us.  He dismissively said, which is a lie, that "all of this began with a complaint."  And then after a long speech angrily blasted at the city council, he sits down.  And then a council person speaks up and throws me to the wolves.  I was at this meeting with Jorge and Margaret and Linda.  

The council person said that this all began when "a citizen" proposed an ordinance and two people have been active, but she's distressed to hear that the "second person" has a complaint and worse, reports are that she had "uncooped hens."  My name is Laura Sanchez.  This council person telephoned me, emailed me, and asked me to do tasks for this proposed ordinance.  I'm sorry this person couldn't remember my name.  I want to remind this council person that at an earlier meeting this summer, both the pediatrician and her neighbor talked about how pleasant it is to have "uncooped" hens in your yard as you enjoy the end of the day with a glass of wine.

So, here's what I've learned:

I've learned that I'm not a bleeding heart liberal. I have a strong conservative core. I've learned that 
first, an elected public official or city employee ought not to discredit a citizen with unfounded complaints and treat her reputation carelessly. Council persons should realize that they probably ought not to be talking about complaints which were researched and declared unfounded. I understand this council person wanted to use me as a political football to score points, but what happened was a witchhunt. How am I supposed to respond to charges that I've never formally been given? What am I supposed to say when I call the public health department and am told that no report was filed because I was not causing a public health risk, but that he informed the Director of City Planning because he knew I was involved with the hen ordinance proposal. The council person should never have acted like I'm some criminal because a neighbor with a grudge called the public health department with an unfounded complaint. It's a witchhunt. And It's wrong. And about the uncooped hens? I still haven't received an Animal Control violation. I'm pretty certain that's because those hens never left my yard.


And second, through this treatment, I've learned why it's important to pay attention to the priorities of our elected officials in local government.  After dispatching me with her disdain, she focused on what had been her main concern -- getting the pediatrician her hens. The council person started out by telling us that the city owes the pediatrician an apology for her inconvenience. That she's very important in her profession and an expert in her field. That she have heard her story about how she valiantly tried to find out whether hens were legal. That she had been in her home with 30 other people who were all there to support the pediatrician -- not support a backyard hen ordinance -- just support the pediatrician.  The council person called out for her husband and lawyer to stand up and "tell her story." The council person said she should be given special consideration. She should have at the very least a grandfather clause, so she can keep her hens. Perhaps she could have some legal consideration because she lives on city property with her Simpson Garden property line. And then the council person closed, by telling us that her grandchildren named every single one of her six hens.


And that's the moment when I officially hit my wall. I want you to know that I may not be a physican on Simpson Garden. I may not be married, nor a mother nor grandmother. But I have children too. Their names are Emma, Clara, Stephen, and now Elsa. And they know Thelma and Louise. And I was trying to teach them and give them happiness with my hens too. 


So, I write to remind the city council that when you draft and propose ordinances, they should care about ALL of Bowling Green's children, from the poorest through the richest. 


Anyway, I'm sitting in the front row with Jorge and Margaret and Linda are right behind me.  And the Mayor blasts us.  And then the city council person throws me to the wolves.  And Jorge is sitting next to me, lending support and acknowledging that I've been thrown to the wolves. And Margaret looks at me with knowledge about how small town politics works.  And I break.  I finally break.  Because I know that backyard hens are simply a part of a progressive movement to assist citizens to live out emerging values about sustainability, respect for animal companions, reduced dependency on factory farming, and local participation in cultural preservation movements, such as preserving our unique American breeds and plants. BG clearly wont' take the lead on these matters, but someday I'm certain we'll catch up.

It's been a painful 19 months for me, but I'm proud of my efforts and so thankful, so thankful for the kindnesses of my friends and family. I wasn't able to keep Thelma and Louise for me and my nieces and nephew. And I've got some thinking about how I'm going to tell them this story when they are old enough to understand. But for now, I just very much look forward to having all of you out of my backyard.



Anyway, at that meeting, I stood up after the Mayor and city council person spoke and I was the first public lobbying person to speak.  I apologized for the trouble I had caused.  And I said that I would surrender my hens.  And THAT made the paper.  There's a photo of me in our local paper and I'm apologizing and it says that I surrender.  But I just meant that I surrender my hens to friends, friends who own an organic farm.  Friends of Hens!  

And then I start crying.  And Mr. C*nnell stands up and starts spewing hate.  I left the meeting early, the only time I'd ever done that.  And I went home and cried myself sick.  Jorge, Margaret and Linda stayed and talked with me afterwards.  Mr. C*nnell was so baleful that city council finally corrected him in his use of inappropriate language.  But it was all too late for me.

Because I knew my hens were not safe in a city where there's such willful ignorance, hate, and paternalism.  And above all, I need my pets safe.