Sunday, January 6, 2008

Useeit and My Girls!

So, check this out! One of Hailee's relatives has a book written about her, called Black Gold by the famous Marguerite Henry! Useeit by Bonnie Joe and Effie M was a 1907 thoroughbred mare who is now rumored to have been a Quarter horse and who was dragged all over the West, Mexico and Louisiana to race for Al and Rosa Hoots. She produced the 1924 Kentucky Derby winner, Black Gold, via Black Toney, but he was sterile, poor thing, which ultimately led to his untimely death on the Fairgrounds track in New Orleans.

But, his full brother, Beggar Boy, is Hailee's relative on her mom's side, Docs Blue Rock Dawn. Beggar Boy is the sire of 4 AQHA Race ROMS and 20 AQUA daughters producing ROMS.

Violet is not related to Useeit, but has her boyfriend, Black Toney in several lines in her Dame Francesca line on her dad's side, Groomstick!

I am definitely treating myself to the read of Black Gold again. I remember that fabulous book as a child, and now I am a lucky woman who has a family member from that great American family tree in my pedigree!