Monday, July 6, 2009

Violet and the Chiropractor

Well, I am writing this entry on Sunday, April 5th, and its been a week of expensive mistakes. On Monday, I hired a chiropractor to give Violet a massage. She said that she could tell that Violet was a little misaligned in her hips and that something was off in her neck, but that most significantly, her left shoulder was pushed forward and down. So, Violet stood like a good girl quietly as the woman treated her. She looked surprised, but not alarmed at being pinged with a rubber mallet. And she seemed relaxed and happily surprised by the work on her neck. But I was surprised by how much the chiropractor wrenched on her leg and shoulder.

So, Violet got three days off with one dose of bute on the first day. And when I rode her on Thursday, she was definitely short, choppy, and fast on her front left. And she even did a few stabbing motions with it and tripped while shaking her head. The next day She definitely was off when I lunged her to the left, so I was very disappointed. I mean, I just love my Violet and the last thing I would do is hurt her.

So, anyway, the vet came yesterday (Saturday) to see Sam's new foal, check out an injured filly, give Taz his spring shots, and give Ren his booster. So, I had him check out Violet. She was just awesome about trotting off in a big relaxed ranging gait for the vet, but she lunged like a crazy little nut job for Dr. Zimmerman and his new vet from Ohio State, Leslie. She stepped out into the sunny spring day and these boys were shooting BBs at the farm next door, so she decided to play her thoroughbred card for real. She snorted, dodged, and just trotted and cantered like a racehorse for my poor vet who was looking for lameness.

Needless to say, she earned an "all clear" rating, but my vet said she probably shouldn't get chiropractic work anymore because she probably has an underlying condition which can't readily be sourced and so chiropracty might aggravate rather than relieve her condition. By doctor's orders she's only allowed equine massages from here on out!

I am very happy my girl will be okay!