Sunday, July 12, 2009

Violet Tests Her Combined Driving Skills!

I am writing this entry on July 12th, on an impossibly beautiful cool sunlit Sunday. It's gorgeaus out. Birds are playing in my garden, bees are in the bee balm, the vegetables are strong, the nasturtium are abundant. I washed my grooming brushes. And I had just gotten back from helping Danielle and Todd do a little painting when Barbie said to come out to the farm and drive Violet. So, I did. And it was amazing. Violet was light and smooth and tight-turning and happy. She was good for all three of us, but Tom really showed her to advantage! He knows how to do combined driving, so he did some dressage moves with her -- got her to do these tight piaffes in a pivot around the cart, got her to cross over her legs, got her to move out with pride up onto the grass and through the trees. It was really just a thrill to see her be so brilliant and relaxed. And Tom said that he thought she was just great -- that she liked her job and wants to please me. And he said that I was lucky because a driver would be very happy to have such a good horse. I am tickled pink! My good girl, Violet. What was good for a chuckle is that afterwards I gave her love, but just put her quickly back in her stall to go and chat with everyone. Well, Violet thought that was tacky, so she gave these stallion roars of impatience -- "Hey! What about me!? Come play with me and praise me!" She's a hoot!