Monday, August 13, 2012

Last Day of a Fun Summer!




Today was a bittersweet but lovely day.  Today was our last official training ride with Kelsey before she leaves for Law School at OSU.  We were going to share a ride at 10:30 on a gorgeaus cool sunlit Sunday.  My ponies were very happy -- they know they've been doing good and they are in the midst of August carrots from my garden.  They are happy campers!  So, we saddled up for our last ride together and she rode Violet at first and I rode Renny.  It was so relaxed and fun and mellow.  Renny was sweet and soft and obedient.  He gave me a little heat at the canter because if I sat down on him too hard, he'd cow kick.  We laughed because we figured he was trying to train me now.  As soon as I let go of his inside rein and leaned forward and got my potato butt off him, he instantly quit cowkicking and got super soft.  The pony wanted to give me my reward -- he's a good trainer.  I practiced leg yields with him and shoulders-in and haunches-in.  Kelsey said that Violet was being amazing too.  And then I jumped Renny and got the correct leads off both fences.  It was all so easy and fun and relaxed.  We changed up horses and I got to feel Violet being relaxed and mellow and athletic and completely listening to the seat and legs.  She didn't want in any way to fight about her bit for the leg yield -- she was soft and straight about the leg yield just listening to my hips and butt and legs.  It was a terrific final fun fun fun ride!  And lots of carrots and treats for the happy ponies afterwards!