Monday, August 20, 2012

Violet Takes Care of Me!




Violet Jumping Sweetly!

Midway through the summer, I put Violet into training with Kelsey and it was such a smart thing to do. She got Violet to be rounder and softer.  And she figured out how to help me listen to her better, so that Violet is better able to communicate with me how she would like to be ridden.  And she got Violet to jump rounder and softer and more consistently.  Violet is just a better athlete and partner who has leg yields, shoulders-in, haunches-in, and lead changes at her disposal.  It's amazing.  And here's one day how I benefited.  I've been worried about the health of my pets (I must be struggling with depression).  I was thinking that Louise might be really ill and I talked to my mom one Thursday and she told me that my dad is doing very poorly.  He's not well.  He's slipped backwards since the July 4th holiday and anxiety and depression have a hold on him.  So, I went to the barn for our Thursday night lesson and I was so stressed out.  I was kind of a mess.  Stacey had us ride out in the rain -- and that was fun.  It was a steady, non-stop rain for the whole lesson.  Rain fell quietly around us and dripped off my visor.  My gloves were a mess, Violet was wet and cheerful.  And here's what she did -- while we were jumping, I dropped the reins twice, lost a stirrup, leaned left, stood up in the stirrups, came completely out of the saddle, lost my legs too many times to count.  And Violet brought her best -- she took care of me.  She jumped every jump I put her to.  She was obedient, soft, and solidly solidly took care of sloppy me.  I felt my heart grow two times larger, realizing how she treats me like precious cargo!