Thursday, April 12, 2007

Cobalt Blue and the 2007 Run for the Roses!


This year marks the first Kentucky Derby in which I owned a thoroughbred! I remember watching the 1973 Derby when beautiful, sweet Secretariat was getting ready to race into history. Little did I know that one day, I would join his family through Hailee and Violet. Anyway, here's a photo of Cobalt Blue, one of the colts among 20 who is a contender for the roses! He was bought by Merv Griffin for $325,000. His trainer said, "He's a gorgeaus colt. That's the most Merv Griffin ever paid for a horse. He's probably the most beautiful colt I ever bought, and we got him on the only bid we made. He's perfectly put together and very correct. He would have gone for a lot more, but he's by Golden Missile, who's not in vogue." When he was 2, he raced twice and won once, and now that he's three he's raced twice and won both times. He has earned $207,000 so far. What's amazing to me is that he has an even lower DI than Violet which means that Violet should be faster than him over shorter distances -- she could beat him in the Derby!!! After he won the San Felipe, his trainer said, "He looks great and ate up like a tiger. He's so big and strong, he was just dragging the hot walker back to the test barn." Cobalt Blue is heavily related to Hailee and Violet. He shares many lines, including the following: La Troienne, Baby League, Bimelech, Nearco, Princequillo, Discovery, Nasrullah, Eight Thirty, Friar Rock, Man 'O War, Ultimus, Commando, Rock Sand, Black Toney, Hyperion, Gainborough, Bull Dog, Bull Lea, Better Self, Whisk Broom, Count Fleet, Gay Crusader, Gay Laura, Domino, Busher, War Admiral, Bubbling Over, Equipoise, and Blue Larkspur. I think that Cobalt Blue has a really interesting, diverse pedigree, and he is even directly related to Secretariat, but I'm not sure he's my favored pick to win the Derby yet. I am just talking about him to mention that this year, you can be sure I'll watch the Derby to see my girls' relatives compete! And it will be very exciting and gratifying to trace how my girls are related to these great, noble, obedient, but spirited champion athletes! You can read more about this year's contenders for the roses at the following link:
http://www.horse-races.net/library/links-derby.htm