Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Counting my blessings


In your life, you gather your own unique blessings, your private joys. I've had some very special ones in my life. I have my family, my unusual and loving family. I have my sister and my beautiful nieces. I had Tigi and Teacake, the most wonderful cats. I have Jackass, Zelia and the other critters. I have lovely Hailee and Violet. I've been blessed with a job that I enjoy. And I've been blessed to live in a 165 year-old home in New Orleans. My home is beautiful with three fireplaces and these old lovely hand-crafted appointments, tall ceilings, pocket doors, cypress floors, ancient rose bush and Sweet Olive tree. I was never afraid in my lovely home. It never creaked and never made noise, even in the biggest of storms. And it always radiated care. And it survived hurricanes for over a century, including Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. My friend, Mark of New Orleans, stopped by my old street the other day and took a picture for me. The house next door is the worse for wear, but my home is solid as usual, lovely and solid. Over the years, my neighbors in that hurting home included Mike, a single guy who left for California, and the Hollidays, a family with the most sweet daughters, including Shamika -- the dancing warrioress for Jesus and Love. Thank you, Mark, for sending this photo of my sweet place. I sat on those steps so many times, smoking cigarettes (on the rare occasion) or drinking coffee, and watching the street life of NOLA. I am grateful for my blessings.