Friday, August 22, 2008

Sick Baby Update


This morning was beautiful and cool and as I drove out to the stable, Barbie texted me and said that Renny had a temp of 100.8 last night which is baby normal!

On my drive, I saw two black cows that had broken out of their riverside pens and were standing proudly in a bean field across the road from their homestead, chewing thoughtfully and smiling broadly in the early morning cool. By the end of the day, I saw these cows again returned to their pasture by the river, probably daydreaming about their big adventure!

Anyway, Renny definitely looked perkier this morning and his temp was 101! He got to go out with Ruthie and he was hilarious. He was wrestling with her in the back corner and then he saw me and Violet as we were getting ready for our ride. He just stood stock still staring at us and then suddenly he spun around on his heels, let out a snort, and sped out of there like he thought he was in a Western movie. You could practically hear the cartoon "shuu" noise coming from his heels as he sped off! So, I knew he was feeling better.

Then at the end of the day, I checked him again. He was having dinner in his stall with his mom and he looked very relaxed and satisfied with himself. His temp was 100.8! Baby normal! The vet says I have to keep checking him twice a day for awhile and call him right away if there is a spike in temp, but that it sounds like we are out of the woods.

When I saw him this morning, he was just covered in baby snot. His nose was just covered in it and Ruthie wiped hers on his coat. And poor Hailee had baby snot all over her too! But this evening, things seemed to be a bit more under control. No runny nose, no old man coughing, no fever. Just snuffles and whiffles and playfulness!

What I am so proud of today is that Renny just lets me take his temperature. I come in and greet him and he stands perfectly still on a loose line as I take the temp. He and I are a great team!