Thursday, July 26, 2012

Weird Conversations and Classical Dressage




So, during the dressage clinic, the instructor said that Renny was an example of what happens when you start a horse too young -- that he has a dip in his back between the croup and saddle which is indicative of a weak damaged back.  I asked whether it could be conformation and in front of a room of people, he said no.  So, I was pretty upset.  The last thing I'd want to do is hurt my pony.  And after instructor said that, he used Renny as an amazing example of the technique -- Renny was soft, round, reaching, lifting his belly.  He was one of only a few horses invited to canter this weekend. He was amazing.

Anyway, later the next day, I was in the viewing room, making a sandwich, and K was chatting to someone.  You will have to ask me in person for the details of the someone.  Anyway, I'm just making a sandwich and I hear him ask K who she rode in the clinic.  And she's telling him about riding Renny and how great he was and how I was nervous because the instructor said his back was weak.  And she started explaining that she doesn't think that could be so.  And this someone starts talking about Renny.  He says that he doesn't think Renny has a weak back and that possibly he just entered the ring with his head and tail high because of interest and enthusiasm and the instructor made an incorrect judgement.

So, I just keep making my sandwich, feeling that they'll likely move on to another topic when that someone keeps talking about me and my herd.  He says that both my horses are great.  That most of the time when he gives a horse back to its owner after 30 days, the horse moves backwards.  But my horses are always moving forward.  That Renny is consistent.  It doesn't matter who he sees on Renny, Renny looks great -- whether it's me, K, or a little girl he's seen riding her.  He said that most people are lucky to have only 1 good horse, but I've got two.  And that he thinks that I prefer Violet, but that he'd keep Renny.  He says Renny was easy to train because of all of my training - I gave Renny to him ready to learn.

I got uncomfortable and nervous because the conversation wasn't brief, it was extended.  I couldn't believe that my herd was being discussed.  More was said -- all strangely good -- and I couldn't take it anymore, so I interrupted.  I told someone that I was worried about what the instructor had said about Renny's back because we had started him at 26 months, but that I knew he'd gotten a good start from someone.  This was the first conversation since Hailee went to auction.  

And someone said that he'd learned a lot since he started Renny and that he would only rarely start one so young now.  But that he wanted me to know that in many ways Renny was more consistent and could make people look good, better than his own stallion.  He said that he could ride his stallion and it would look good, but if someone else got on, they wouldn't look good.  But Renny is so consistent, he makes everyone look good.  

I heard that.  I said my piece.  And then I turned and walked away.  It was one hella weird dressage clinic, let me tell you!