Monday, September 13, 2010

Renny's Day 24!

g
Now here is the beginning of video from earlier in his training, but photos from Day 24, the day I rode which was just yesterday, August 26th!  It's all a little confusing, I know.  But you'll notice that he looks smaller in the videos, but in the photos, he's looking like a strong working pony.  Anyway, Day 24 was kind of a mixed bag for Renny.  He got in trouble because he decided he didn't want to longe to the left, though he had done it beautifully quietly and softly just the day before.  So, he ended up being worked for a long time until he got soft.  Then Coy took him for a relaxing ride around St. George to the outdoor arena. And that is what these photos show, my pony moving quietly and happily on a beautiful cool sunlit late-August radiant morning.  He trotted comfortably.  He cantered serenely all the way around this really large arena on the correct lead and without breaking.  He halted with a true halt which even included a nap because I'm sure he was getting tired.  And so by the time I mounted, I was so eager to have my try.  And it was wonderful.  Coy told me about how to lift his shoulder and bring him around.  How to use a single rein. How to direct rein versus indirect rein.  How to apply less than a single ounce of pressure to get him to lift his back and reach his hindquarters under and bring his face into the bridle.  And let me tell you, he may be a green pony, but he does ALL these things better than my Violet.  So, I am going to try and improve my riding to help not set Renny back and to help move Violet forward!