Friday, January 30, 2009

Coming for Grandma!


This photo was taken on October 12th. My handsome boy was out with his friend, Ruthie, relaxing and having fun. I love his white blaze, intelligent eyes, pert ears, and perfect freckle. He confidently expects to be kissed on that angel spot freckle! Anyway, what I really wanted to say is that I ordered several books from the library about how to train foals, weanlings, and yearlings, and later, when they have age and strength and maturity, how to train horses to driving. I've decided that, if I am able to fulfill the social contract with Renny that I would like to teach him how to be a driving pony. I think he'd be great fun to drive around a farm! I am writing this entry on October 27th, and I have to say that he's very intelligent. He knows how to back and move with the most light touch and voice command. He lets me rub him all over. He lets me pick up all of his feet and pick them. He lets me lead him with ease and graciousness. He waits patiently while I do tasks in the saddle room. And he is now letting me put things on his back and wave them at him -- and he's just short of 6 months old no less! Tonight I put a saddle pad-sized towel on him and it was funny and sweet to see him skitter about, then walk quietly and with confidence, and then stop and thoughtfully check out the towel. He's going to be such a joy to work with. I am so lucky. Namaste.