Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Breaking News! The Herd Moves to St. George


Yesterday I moved Violet, Hailee and Renny to St. George Equestrian Center in Whitehouse, Ohio. Two very nice women arrived to pick up my herd and Coy and Nikki helped with the loading. Renny hadn't travelled anywhere since last September, so his last trip was 14 months ago! I was nervous that he might cause trouble, but he was calm, agreeable, reasonable and loaded after some minor discussion about what loading is all about. He was perfectly charming. The ladies from St. George were very impressed with his good behavior and excellent manners and intelligence and willingness. Anyway, the herd arrived at their new perfectly clean stalls and I could tell that they were immediately comfortable. Over the next few days, they will spend time in "isolation pastures" relaxing and getting used to their new farm. And then they will be carefully introduced into their respective new herds to spend a happy holiday on winter pastures. Today I have to order them medium weight turnout blankets for their changed circumstances.

All of this is not without pain, lots of pain. So, I was grateful last night for the dear friend who called me and said that I am boss mare of my herd and that the boss mare must take care of her herd and move them when it's time. It was the kindest call. After those friendly words, I slept and am ready for a new day.

Namaste. May your herds be well and whole. And may you have good boss mares in your life.