Sunday, December 20, 2009

Breaking News! Ren's Second Winter!


I am writing this entry on Sunday, December 20th, as I am sitting by a poinsettia and lit candles, enjoying a beautiful lazy day with my creatures and getting excited for a holiday with my family in Pittsburgh. Yesterday was a wonderful day. I woke up and the day was filled with snow! I fed the cats, dog, and chickens and then drove through the winter white to feed Danielle and Todd's cats while listening to Bing Crosby sing White Christmas.

Then I went to the stable and was greeted by Renny out in his pasture, enjoying the first snow of the season with his friends. I chatted with him for awhile and then went into the stable where Violet was waiting cheerfully in the crossties for me and a group of children ran up to me to tell me how funny Renny had been to lead outside. How he had tippy toed and pranced and dragged his nose through the snow. How happy and cute he was. And my heart danced with happiness. The stable was loud and cheerful with laughing people cleaning stalls and I lunged Violet. She worked hard. Then we had a lesson with Baker and Shari and Pan and Stazi. It was my second good happy ride at St. George. Violet was eager and wanted to trot with power and strength, but she was obedient and happy and light and working. We figure eighted over ground poles and we did lots of circling and worked deep into the corners and went right by the gates. She worked so hard that when we stopped we relaxed and she would just sigh with relaxation and work her lips happily!

After the lesson, I put her beautiful black and purple fleece on her and we walked around and watched another lesson for awhile with Baker. And then I fed my beautiful girl carrots and led her out to her snowy winter pasture. Hailee came running to the gate with a cheerful whinny.

I can't tell you how wonderful St. George is. I just think it's a special magical place. When I arrive, my horses are out in their pastures, safe and happy, and their stalls are immaculate. The people are so nice and talented and it's a joy to watch people at all levels learning to ride and practicing jumping and dressage. And they have equipment that you need -- ground poles, jumps, cavaletti -- so, it's easy to set up little challenges. And the arena footing is fantastic.

I can't tell you how nice it is to see my horses' happy faces. Violet is stronger and more athletic already, and Hailee is satisfied with her pasture time and friendship with Vi. And Renny is bright and joyful and eager for everything -- for time with his new pals, for pets from his fans, and for work with his grandma. We are lucky and grateful. And now today, I am waiting to go to a holiday party at St. George. We are lucky and grateful.