Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Breaking News! A St. George Evaluation Lesson

Yesterday morning I went to the stable shortly after 10am and was delighted to see my herds out with their friends -- always the same delight! I brought Renny in and fitted him to his new handsome teal blanket, then groomed him in the cross ties, and lunged him and practiced walking and standing politely. We walked and walked over lots of ground poles. And he was a good calm boy. I love him.

Then I brought Violet in and groomed her. I met the barn farrier, Todd, and Violet and I did some long-lining work. We had a riding lesson with Stacey and I got to work on just getting my balance, stretching and relaxing while she lunged my mare. Our lesson was sort of stiff because Violet was excited about the new space and wanted to get out of work. And frankly, I was pretty weak in my body and didn't really know how to work all my parts independently! But Stacey was really nice and she suggested that I work in the Wednesday night and Saturday morning lessons. And she said that she would be happy to help me with sacking Renny out to his saddle, bridle, etc. after Christmas. I want to begin that work. He was soooo good about his blanket. I used the pressure and release system Coy taught me and he just relaxed into the task. But yesterday he was funny because the leg straps were hanging and he was annoyed and stomping around trying to get them to quit tickling him. So, he clearly needs a little sacking out time! Plus I spoke with Coy yesterday and he said that he would come out and help teach me some new ways to move Renny along. I am looking forward to those lessons!

Anyway, when I brought Violet back out to her pasture to rejoin her herd, Hailee was standing by the gate looking for her. She called out for her friend and they both just trotted off deep into their large pasture.

I love St. George. It was a brilliant idea to move.