Thursday, December 17, 2009

Breaking News! Violet and I have a Breakthrough Day!


So, the arena and activity at St. George sort of unnerved me, so I haven't been a very effective rider for Violet. And let me tell you, she's been calling me on it by being bossy pushy stiff and exciteable. Well, last night Stacey gave me a lesson and she and I both agreed that Violet has really benefited from her time at St. George. She's leaner and has more muscle mass and a stronger neck. Her daily exercise with turnout has her feeling energetic and good and she's plain old happier. So, she's turned herself into a thoroughbred athlete with more energy than I am used to. So, Stacey said I need to work her more. So, this morning I went to St. George and all the horses were out in the sun and the stalls were spotless, of course! So, I retrieved Violet and she and I did Parelli until she paid attention to me properly. I set up cavaletti and a ground pole by the door she enjoys shying at. And then we lunged and lunged in circles up and down the length of the arena. And she so enjoyed lunging over the little ground pole by the door. We lunged until she was glad to be done lunging! And then we rode. We rode and rode and trotted and jumped. She was happy to pop over the ground pole and she knew she had to go close to the wall and deep in the corners and she knew that she had to be sensible by all the doors. And she totally knew that she was great at ground poles and popping over cavaletti. She had a great time and I was laughing and praising her. I wore spurs because I just don't have the strength I should yet and didn't want to get stiff with fighting her. And what was a real hoot was when I gave her a truly gentle nudge with the spur when we were doing serpentines. Well, she got the most surprised expression on her face and swished her elegant tail and pricked her ears as if to say that she knew I meant business and she meant business too! We had a truly wonderful morning workout and then I gave her two carrots and returned her to her pasture happily where Hailee greeted her with a whinny!

Then I got Renny and he was a super sport too. He walked very calmly into the barn, cross-tied, and then walked all over the barn practicing stops and standing. And then we went into the arena. He was terrific over groundpoles and cavaletti. He lunged the best he has. He just knows. And he was respectful of my space. Then we took a little stroll over the grounds for him to check out the stadium stands and various other features. He took it all in stride nonchalantly. He is becoming a smart, sensible bombproof pony! I adore him.

Namaste from me and my herd. We are having the time of our life at St. George!