Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Violet So Beautiful

Here's a photo from the Christmas party when Carissa rode Violet for the first time. My horses have been at St. George for a full month now and they love it, just love it. They are happy, calm and sensible. But poor Violet had a little setback. This past Saturday, she was trimmed too short on her hooves and had too much frog removed, so she's had four days of warm hooves and is on bute. Another farrier took a look and said that it really was simply a hoof problem and would have to just grow out. So, Violet is on vacation for a few weeks so that her frogs have a chance to grow back and she gets a bit more length. This has been so very upsetting for me -- no hoof, no horse is a big saying of mine, my primary saying about horses. So, I know that I will just be lots and lots more careful whenever my horses have their feet done. And I'm bummed that I'm missing out on riding just as I arrive at this great new stable! But I want Violet's complete recovery, so she's going to have rest out in the pastures in the cold snow and then wonderful food and fragrant hay!

And this gives me time to work with Renny. And, my goodness, he has been a great boy the past few days! He is giving to pressure on his hocks, puts up with ropes around his body, trots off in hand beside me, goes over ground poles and cavaletti, stops politely, let's me use clippers on his muzzle and bridle path. He's just the most sweet smart sensible boy who is trying very hard to learn his tasks. Plus what's funny and cute is that twice now, while he's been on his line, he's laid in the dirt and had a luxurious happy pony roll while he's been with Grandma. And he's adorable when we free lunge him in the arena. He jets around like a rock star with his tail high and streaming and his mane flowing and his head high! And I am busily shopping for his first bit, bridle and girth. I just love, love, love my herd of beauties. They are sweet, intelligent, and kind!