Tuesday, April 8, 2008

10 Days! Go Team Nitro!



Last night was the first that I spent at the stable on foal watch. I am way too early, but you just never know. She's a maiden mare and we can't quite predict. Plus I am glad to be there in case she has any troubles. When I got there at 11:30pm, my girl, Violet, was sleeping curled up like a kitten. I could barely see her except for her white beautiful blaze. She peeked up at me and I could tell she wondered whether she should get up. But I let her rest!

Hailee had a rough night. She built a straw nest and laid down at around 4am and just grunted and groaned. And she went poop several times. And she passed wind so many times. I thought she was maybe having her baby, but I think that baby was just moving around and getting ready. When Stephanie showed up in the morning, Hailee was eager for breakfast and we saw that her teats were just the same without waxing! But I learned a great deal about how nice a stable is at night. So quiet. Smells so wonderful. I slept on the foal's straw bales which were stacked pretty high next to Hailee's stall, so I could just lean on my knees to see over the top at how my broodmare was doing!

The morning was nice. I got to greet H as she plowed into her breakfast. And it was wonderful to see my red thoroughbred first thing too! She was dancing around her new stall, she's resting in DJ's stall while Hailee spends time alone in her nesting area. Anyway, she was so excited for breakfast that she turned toward me and put out her front legs and did a real deep downward facing dog with a satisfied groan while looking at me. I know that girl likes me, and I sure do like her. I am so fortunate!