Sunday, April 6, 2008

Whimsical and My Girls!

The second filly to ever win the Preakness Stakes was Whimsical in 1906, a few years after the first winner, Flocarline. I think the New York Times captured the spirit of her win with this headline: "Whimsical easily won the Preakness Stake, T.J. Gaynor's Filly Made her Own Pace and Romped in First." The text of the news item said that she was strong through the whole race and took command going in front of the stands, whereupon she "galloped in front at her ease." Another filly was in that race too, Flip Flap, and was also a powerful runner. I love the names of both these girls!

The Whimsical Stakes for older mares at Pimlico Race Course is named after her and raced on Preakness weekend.

Whimsical is listed as having one son, Whimsy out of Burgomaster. My girls are related to her through her sire, Orlando, and from her mother, Kismet, they share Hindoo, Touchstone, and Voltigeur. I couldn't find a picture of her, so you can have one of my darling Rory and Jackie.